Every once in a while we hit an annoying issue with Adobe Flash. Some can be fixed with a quick reinstall of the Flash plugin, but others are much worse like this one with Flash 8 nearly 2 years ago.
In the past month we have had 2 computers come down with the same problem. Sites with Flash content don’t run, so you go to Adobe and try to update Flash. That doesn’t work, so you try a regular uninstall and a then a drastic attempt with Adobe’s uninstaller.
Just before doing a privilege escalation hack on XP pro to uninstall and fix permissions I discovered this succinctly titled page at the Adobe site: Download SubInACL from Microsoft to fix permission issues that prevent the Flash Player installation.
I downloaded and ran the SubInACL Windows Resource Kit tool (which I find to be very interesting), and the I extracted the reset script and ran with it. This time the install worked and life was closer to its standard level of happiness and contentment.
Now I leave this here so I can use this info again in the future.